Monday, November 30, 2009

Mom Not Otherwise Specified, a blog worth your time

I've been meaning to write this for a couple of weeks, but a painful oral surgery whose effects lasted through the Thanksgiving weekend had me slowed down. Sorry about the delay in getting this here.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading my tweets and was told about a very worthwhile blog post. I'd never heard of the blog, but relied on the credibility of the person I was following and went to check it out. Man, was I floored!

The blog was one called
Mom - Not Otherwise Specified
and is written by, well, a mom who writes
"On raising a son on the autism spectrum, progressive politics, pop culture, and coffee addiction."

But, it is so much more than that. The writer grasps the different emotional perspectives of her son, as filtered through his autism, and relates them so vividly in her writing. This blog is very well written and I would encourage the mom to keep on writing. After some period of time when you've gathered enough material, I believe it would make an awesome book. Yes, you write that well.


If you've not read her blog before, do go there on the link above. Just read the latest post (Nov. 7, 2009) about her son meeting country singer Dierks Bentley, and I think you'll understand why I'm such a fan of her writing.

Additionally, if you've never heard of Dierks or his music, I think you'll be a big fan of his after reading this. Dierks totally rocks for how well he took on his job.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow. Thanks so much, Ron. I'm just lucky to have a son who gives me such great material.

I hope your recovery from oral surgery is going well, and that you didn't have to have a milkshake for your Thanksgiving dinner.

Ron Graham said...

I agree with you about your son giving you great material to write about. However paint in the hands of one who is unskilled will reflect this on canvas; in the hands of a skilled artist, paint becomes art. You are a skilled artists with the material Bud gives you and you are able to transform that material into art. Rock on!

And, Thanksgiving was good...no milkshakes. There's always enough soft foods for Thanksgiving that I just love-- dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cakes and pies --I ate well. Besides, if turkey is cut up into really small pieces, it doesn't need much chewing! Thanks for the concern.