Sunday, August 03, 2008

When Wikipedia Won't Cut It: 25 Online Sources for Reliable, Researched Facts

There was one other article I found in the library of
CollegeDegree.com
and it is one that just about any college student may find worth noting.

When the title of an article is
When Wikipedia Won’t Cut It: 25 Online Sources for Reliable, Researched Facts,
college students and professors alike should pay attention. I believe this article will be of use to any college student in this digital age, with or without a disability, and also whether they take an online class or not.

I remember very clearly the difficulty I encountered when writing numerous college research papers, trying to find sources that were accessible, and going online was the best and most useful way for me to do this independently. Adding to the conundrum was that professors often limited the number of online sources students were allowed to cite. I would meet with my professors and explained to them the difficulty I had in finding accessible material that was not online, and asked for some leeway in allowing me to use more than their usually allowed number of online sources. I was frank and honest in this request,asking them to trust me to screen out unreliable, uncredible web source material, and holding me accountable on this aspect. I can't remember a time when that request was not granted. However, I also remember that I worked hard to ensure that my sources were credible and valid, and, yest most of their domains ended with ".edu". That seemed to add to my professor's approval.

If you found either this post or the previous post I wrote about another article from the CollegeDegree.com library useful, you may be interested to know that another powerful feature of the library page is the subscription option so that you can sign up for the newest articles whenever they are published.

No comments: