Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dancing around the issues: Ted Poe's reply about the ADA Restoration Act of 2007

The purpose of Access Ability is not to be a political blog, but is focused on pursuing interests relating to the world of Disability Support Services. However, there are times when the goals of Access Ability and politics collide. The following is the account of such an intersection.

What is one to make of his congressman when given lip service? Sure, it was politically correct, but it was still lip service.

Case in point is the reply I received from my Representative
Ted Poe, R-TX,
In response to my email asking him to sign on as a cosponsor of H.R. 3195, the
ADA Restoration Act of 2007.

In his response, Rep. Poe gave me a rundown of the bill’s assignment for review and he followed this up by thanking me for sharing my concerns with him.

However, at no time did he acknowledge my request for him to sign on as a cosponsor, nor did he ever state whether he would or wouldn’t sign on as a cosponsor of the legislation. However, by his omission, I’ll assume he’s declining my request.

Rep. Poe's reply and obvious omission harken back to Charles Durning playing the Texas Governor in the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas when he busts into a jig, singing “I Dance A Little Sidestep.”

Nice move, Mr. Poe. Was that a cha-cha or just a flat-out hustle?

I understand politics and try not to take them personally. However, I take the ADA personally. It is the backbone to so many aspects of things I enjoy and understand today. If it weren’t for the ADA, I shudder to think what my college experience might have been, much less what might have been in several other facets of my everyday life. So, I take it personally that Rep. Poe has slighted my request.

I now need to think through how to proceed from here.

Okay, I’ve shared my experience of contacting my congressman in support of this legislation. I have three questions for you.

1. Have you written your Representative and done the same?

2. If so, what was your Representative’s response?

3. Any suggestions on how to proceed with Rep.Poe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I contacted my Rep (John Doolittle R--Ca) and the extent of his response was that he wasn't on any of the committees the bill must go through (Transportation and Infrastructure, Education and Labor, Judiciary, and Energy and Commerce) but that he would keep my "views in mind should this bill come before me for a vote."
I'm not sure what that will mean, but I'm hoping that means he'll vote for it. Who knows. Looks like another possible member of the Arthur Murray School of politics. Good Luck!

Ron Graham said...

Thanks for that. I hope that his comment means he will consider your stance. At least that was some acknowledgement of your concerns.

Maybe we can launch a Congressional version of Dancing with the Stars!

Andrea said...

Just dropping a line here to inform that I've now linked to this blog post from my ReunifyGally blog. I've been trying to link to all the blog posts I can find on the ADA Restoration Act; if you post any more in future, please do let me know so I can be sure not to overlook you.

Andrea
reunifygally.wordpress.com <-- Blogging on the ADA Restoration Act of 2007 and other topics

(I also have another blog at wecando.wordpress.com--no, no ADA Restoration Act info here, but I've done a bit of blogging on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities which is another policy issue that should strike close to home for people with disabilities anywhere in the world.)